note: I’m copying this from a page on the website in order to help spread the project.
“Every 47 minutes, a woman tests positive for HIV in the United States.“
On March 10, the United States will recognize National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NWGHAAD). Launched by the Office of Women’s Health, NWGHAAD is a nationwide observance that encourages people to take action in the fight against HIV/AIDS and raise awareness of its impact on women and girls.
While great progress has been made in the area of HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment, women still represent 27% of all new AIDS diagnoses, with African-American women accounting for 66% of that group.
In observance of NWGHAAD, we are back with our 4th Annual Rock the Red Pump™ Campaign! The campaign’s goal is to generate conversation in blogosphere about the issue of HIV/AIDS and how it affects women.
In the 50 days leading up to March 10th, we ask bloggers to place one of our 5 badges on their websites to represent the strength and courage of women fighting HIV/AIDS or affected by the disease. Then on NWGHAAD, people across blogosphere dedicate their posts to talking about the impact of HIV/AIDS on women and girls. Well, this year, we’d like to paint blogosphere red on March 9, 2012, a Friday. And then on March 10th, we’ll be having events in cities across the country. Details to come on those!
Whether you are a first-time participant or an “old” pro, we thank you for supporting this movement! There are also other ways for you to demonstrate your involvement in the 50 days leading up to March 10th.
- Sign up to “Rock the Red Pump” and embed one of our five custom badges in the sidebar of your website and/or blog.
- Dedicate a post to the important issue of HIV/AIDS and women on March 9, 2012 (We’re choosing to paint blogosphere FIERCE on this day because March 10 is a Saturday this year). Need some statistics to get started? Check out our HIV/AIDS 101 page.
- Participate in our weekly #RedPumpDiaries Twitter discussions on a variety of important sexual health topics
- Snap a photo in your favorite pair of red shoes and share with us via our Facebook page, Twitter, and/or Tumblr.
- Spread the word and tell a friend!
- Make this your blog post to help draw attention.
Don’t have a blog?
In 2011, over 1,250 blogs participated in the campaign, so we’ve decided to push for 2,500 blogs this year! Do you think we can do it? Stay tuned as we’ll announce the results on March 9, 2012!
Thank you for your support and we look forward to joining us to “Rock the Red Pump” in 2012!
Official hashtag: #RocktheRedPump!