What are dildos?
Dildos/Dongs are cylindrical shaped objects designed for vaginal or anal penetration for the purpose of sexual stimulation. They're often used in the same manner as most vibrators (for penetration either anally or vaginally), however the main difference between vibrators and dildos is the fact that they don't vibrate.
Instead, dildos offer stimulation by providing a feeling of fullness when inserted or while thrusting in and out. They can also be used for g-spot stimulation, or inserted anally for stimulation of the prostate. For those that aren't keen on internal stimulation, dildos can be used to stimulate the vulva by sliding up and down between the labia (inner and outer lips).
As for the difference between dildos and dongs; some say dongs have balls and look like a 'real' penis and dildos don't. Others say it's the other way around. Unfortunately there aren't any hard and fast rules on this subject so I'm just going to go with saying that it's interchangeable depending on your point of view.
Types Of Dildos
Like many other sex toys, dildos come in a wide variety of shapes, colors, sizes, materials and designs:
- when it comes to targeted g-spot stimulation some are curved or bent like the stainless steel Njoy Pure Wand or Double G Glass Stunner. Others have specific texturing along the shaft like the Tantus Charmer, Uberrime Aqua King, or Funkit Toys Swing V2.
- realistic dildos mimic the look and feel of a penis. Great examples are the Tantus Alan, Mark O2, Uncut #1 Dual Density Dildo, Vixen Creations Bandit and Maverick, Pleasure Works Captain, Doc Johnson TruSkyn, or any of the Au Naturel Dildos by Blush.
- some are inspired by mythological creatures or abstract objects like the Uberrime Tentacle, Split Peaches Rainbow Unicorn Horn, Tantus Steamhunk, Divine Interventions Diving Nun, and Game Of Moans Sword Dildo (it looks amazing!).
- as for basic dildos the Tantus Silk, Tantus Leisure, Amor by Fun Factory, and Temptasia Twist by Blush have little to no defining features.
- for partnered play, dildos with a base can be used with a harness to simulate penetrative intercourse. Or in the case of Realdoes and strapless strap-on dildos, a bulb at the end is inserted vaginally and held in place with the PC muscles while the dildo is used to penetrate the partner(s).
- there are also double dildos (rather than having only one end, both ends are usable). They're usually used for partner play but they can also be bent into a 'U' shape for simultaneous anal and vaginal penetration. The Dorcel Double Do, Blush Ruse 18 inch, and Vixen Creations Nexus Senior are some of the best around.
- as for body safe materials, opt for silicone dildos (make sure they're 100% medical grade silicone and not a blend), tempered glass dildos, aluminium or stainless steel dildos, treated and sealed wood dildos, porcelain dildos, and last but not least semi-precious stone dildos (think Quartz and Obsidian etc).
click the image to go straight to the review
If you're not sure what type of dildo you'd prefer, I suggest reading my How To Choose A Sex Toy post as it may offer the insight you need to help make your decision. For those of you that already know what you're looking for, but don't know which you'd personally like, below is a list of the various dildos and dongs I've reviewed.
Sit back, relax, let me come to you. Sign up through the form below and have my posts sent straight to your inbox. Don’t worry, I promise not to spam you.
Return To All Sex Toy Reviews